New year is a time to make a fresh start, do the undone and make things better. 2009 was a year of highs and lows for me in my culinary expeditions. Even though I discovered my passion for all things culinary, I let myself slip into monotonous life, doing the ordinary most of the time and being lazy too.
Of course there were some highs, like learning the tricks of cake decorating which literally opened my mind to a new world,self- learning some techniques and for the first time I have started my own cookbook collection.
So anyways this year I have made up my mind not to let self-inhibitions take my culinary spirits away and never let any thing come in between me and my baking!! Period!!
I started off my new year with mixed berries pie. Yeah, it is not a berry season right now,but we always have strawberries or blackberries in our fridge. So why not make pie.I decided to make a lattice top for my pie. I have seen the lattice top in magazines and cookbooks, but haven't had the courage to try it. That's when I saw Elise Bauer's Simply Recipes which has an excellent step by step instructions on how to make a lattice top pie. It was like a photo diary that I never thought this was so easy and fun thing to do.
For the dough:
Recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu's TheCooks Bible
All purpose flour - 200g
All purpose flour - 200g
Cold Butter - 100 g
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Egg - 1
Ice cold water - about 2 tsp
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar. Cut butter into small chunks.
- Rub in butter into the flour. Once done it should look like a course meal.
- Add egg and enough water to make the dough (Note: I didn't use the water since adding egg itself gave the right consistency.)
- Divide the dough into half, wrap and chill it for minimum of 30 min.
For the Berry Sauce:
Strawberries, hulled and halved - 1 cup
Blackberries - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cornflour - 2 tbsp
- Mix cornflour with desired amount of water to make a smooth paste.
- Place strawberries,blackberries and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat it for 5 minutes and then add cornflour mixture.
- Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened and heated through. Set aside.
How to make the pie:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F .
- Roll out half of the pie dough and lay it in the dish.
- Using the back of the finger, press the dough into the dish. Trim the excess.
- Roll out the remaining half of the pie dough and make the lattice top as demonstrated here
- Brush the top of the pie with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a small amount of water)
- Bake the pie for 45 min to 1 hour and till the top becomes golden brown.
- Allow it to cool completely before digging in.