A year back, I made my first tart, Bakewell Tart. Everyone loved it especially the almond frangipane layer, which was almost like a sponge cake. I kept thinking about making the tart again, but then it didn't happen for a long time. Now when my friend Sobha's birthday came, I knew the time was right. But this time I didn't make the tart, but a cake made of the frangipane. And I'm calling it as Almond Cake. I even spread orange marmalade between the layers. And it was DELICIOUS ! :-)
Recipe inspired from Bakewell Tart
For the Cake:
Unsalted Butter - 250g
Icing Sugar - 250g
Eggs - 6
Ground Almonds - 250g
All purpose Flour - 60g
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Orange Marmalade to spread between the cake layers
For the Icing:
Heavy whipping cream - 250 ml
Icing sugar - 2-3 tbsp
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Butter and flour two 9 inch round pans
- Cream butter and sugar together for about a minute or until the mixture is pale yellow in colour and very fluffy.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. The batter may appear to curdle.
- Now add vanilla extract and mix for about another 30 seconds and scrape down the sides again.
- Spoon in the ground nuts and the flour to the mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and bake for about 30-40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Whip the cream with the sugar until it's thick.
How to assemble:
- Place the first cake and spread Orange Marmalade.You can go as thick or thin as you want.
- Place the second cake and spread the whipped cream over the cake.
- Spread it evenly on top of the cake and also on the side.
- Decorate with orange slices